Long Way Home

Thank God it’s Friday, but this Friday will be different. I had finished my exams and it was a week before Christmas. So, I knew it was one of those intercontinental last Fridays. we were going to westie to let loose, it has been a long year and we deserved this one. I am usually the designated driver; I don’t drink, I always go for the company. Eileen, Ian, Brayo and Ivy all in one car, I can’t wait to see how wasted they will be after a few drinks and the hangover in the morning.

The night
At around half-past eleven, the euphoria kicked in and the night reached its climax. Remember my friends!!, we had a rule, don’t f*ck with 6. Don’t try something new, this included; falling in love with a random person on those featureless nights and by five in the morning, we had to go home. The only person who broke this rule was brayo and it was two years ago. He ditched us for a one-night stand, the girl kept tabs on him due to unprotected sex. One thing led to another, he did not want to face the reality of life as it is and forced the young lady to have an abortion.
I had a feeling that the night was uncaring, black but good. There was a gentle touch onto it, I had a feeling that I will see the stars at night in the big city. Then came this girl, sat next to me, looked at me and smiled. She stared directly into my eyes and my soul went to sleep. She passed a note that read,
‘follow me’,
 When she was up on her feet, her wine-colored dress that ended six inches above her knees made me weak. Grubbed my hand and I went with the flow. For a moment I felt like Adam, with no sin in the garden of Eden. I was not sure of Eve, but this time there was no going back. I swear I was off my element and I was a bit lightheaded as we headed outside. She handed me tic tacs, or what I thought so and I took a mouthful of them, the love I had for tic tacs was unexplainable. The last thing I remember was a loud bang inside the club and all of a sudden it was dark. I felt like I ‘frenched’ death and didn’t fall in love.

When I opened my eyes, I felt like sticks and stones did hurt my bones and apart from the headache, it was like I was born again because I felt like crying. My Mom was asleep on the chair beside my bed and my dad was looking outside the window in despair. My Dad took a glance at me, saw that I am awake and went to call the doctor.
“mom! MOM! MOM! (she wakes up) I can’t feel my legs” crying out loud.
By now she looked messed up, she has been crying the whole time when I was out. Her life has been grey, that’s the only word that can justify what she has gone through. The way she looks at me trying to calm me down seems like, there is no hope at all, it’s like I am dying. Her eyes reflected my last breath and the tears she had left at the altar. Life was stringing me along, jumping all the hurdles and at that moment I knew I had to let go as the nurse injected me with a sedative.
The doctor explained what happened; I was in a coma for three weeks after sustaining injuries in a car accident. I was under the influence of alcohol and ecstasy, which altered my body tissues and caused server harm.
“the girl, what about the girl?” I asked,
“she was brought in and after surgery, she was brain dead and twelve hours later, she bowed out.” The doctor replied.
 As to my legs, every action has consequences. I had to face the music, I f*cked with 6. 

Comments

Post a Comment