Half a Day

 

I enjoy listening to Jazz, mostly the vocals, the best of Bessie Smith or the instrumentals in Jimmy forest that’s all with anxiety and a pill to pop in the big city of Nairobi.


However, Nairobi is not all jazzy. The fact that, you will never bargain the fare prices during rush hours to teens being caught having orgies to the government stealing in broad daylight evidently shows the other side of the city.

I had an opportunity to have coffee with one of the most barbaric human being I know. A liberal, light skin, feminist and the description can go on and on. “We have to accept who we are and many of us are struggling with that, let alone loving our enemies.”

She described Nairobi as a tale, that the government is building bridges no one asked for, the country can't pay doctors but they have money to send us back to the polls. The rich are taking advantage of the poor and the poor cannot relate. Relationships are judged on Twitter for viewership and societal status and love... love at first sight is just lust in disguise."

Dear Friends,

I hope this finds you well and safe. I recently moved to Palm Springs, California, the city of angels, after spending my childhood in Nairobi, Kenya.

I was brought up in one lavish estate in Muthaiga, if you live in Nairobi, you definitely know Muthaiga. Developed a hobby in travelling and interior design. I developed a weird interest in people’s houses everywhere I went. I traveled a lot, the summer of 2012; I went to Iceland the steamy Blue Lagoon and the gorgeous Northern Lights, the Aurora Borealis. That was until I joined the university back then in 2013, my first priority was schoolwork and at that time, my parents were in London.

For the first two years of school, I really had to work hard since a degree in architecture was not a cup of tea despite the fact that I had no other option. In 2018, I relied on anti-depressants because I knew I had to wake up every morning with a smile on my face. One thing about the city is that everyone is going through something, so if you are waiting for help, most probably you will not get it.

In Africa, mental health is regarded as a taboo. No one really talks about it and when we do, we rebuke it. Depression is just as real as having cancer and if not taken seriously, then nothing is ever going to be right.

I met Joan when we were about to finish our degree in 2018. Joan was a bit off, eccentric one can say. She only listened to classical music, played the cello and never talked that much. What I loved about her, was the passion she had, her kindness and that sarcastic smirk.

At the tail end of the year 2018, we went to wasp and sprout, off to Loresho; they were doing a “special Thursday event”. It was a fusion of Jazz, classical and spoken word art. During the event, we met Tony. We went to school with him, a psychology major who had his eyes on Joan. Throughout the event, I was the third wheel, while tony was shooting his shot. It was not the first time Tony had approached her; actually, he was stalking her, the right kind of stalking…

For once, Joan did not have that sarcastic smile and for a moment, I realized that she had let her hair down and I think I was attracted to her too. She grew fond of Tony and you could see the chemistry between them as clear as day. As the night grew darker and lovely, our little girl Jojo, sedated on love and every time Tony called out her name in his deep, smoky voice, she would blush.

She was hooked up on Tony, a stout looking guy, with curly hair and one thing for sure is that he had a firm grip. I was proud of Jojo, she was happy and again, she was human. She tried new stuffs, got involved in new experiences and always had a smile on her face.

Unfortunately, 2019 august Jojo’s dad died. Committed suicide and word was out that he was struggling with Post Traumatic Syndrome Disorder (PTSD). I really didn’t get to know her father quite well, but he served in the army and was retired. Jojo really loved her dad and after he retired, Jojo spent most of her time with him.

During the funeral, Jojo felt alone. I had traveled to the US because I was thinking of relocating from Kenya. To make matters a bit worse, Tony was in Uganda for a whole three months and their relationship was in a muddle. The whole dynamic changed. Jojo stopped playing the cello, Jojo was sad, Jojo was depressed.

When I was back, Jojo picked me up from the airport and she looked dismayed and bruised. Her eyes seemed like she did not sleep the previous night and metaphorically speaking, she was so cold with her words.

“….. it’s like there’s distance between me and the world. You cannot see any tangible future,” With a lot of distress, she sighed.

 “Every day feels like the worst day of my life, with everything that is happening right now…”

And before she would finish, I rushed to the driver’s sit, surely, you would not like someone saying those words driving you through Mombasa road to Karen. It was purely by grace that she drove through to the airport.

To cut the long story short, 2020 happened. I graduated, moved on to Palm Springs and I was hoping Jojo would join. Covid was too much to handle and Jojo was all alone in her apartment during the pandemic. Something changed; she became too crapulous that affected her during the pandemic. This really affected the relationship I had with her.

August 2020, a year after her dad passed, I got the news that Joan Karemi had passed away. Suicide, she was lying dead in the bath tab, immersed in her blood with slit wrists. Now am just holding on;

Sometimes it’s hard to make it but I have to,
It’s been 3 months since you were gone
And I can’t stop thinking of you.
I can’t look back & tell you to wait,
Yesterday I cried my tear duct out
And most of the time I stare at the sky waiting for you
Sometimes I hope that when the sun rises, you will rise too.

R.I.P Jojo 💔😔

In truce;

                        Lynn

Comments