Its never a good day for a birthday


 

“Don’t waste your time in anger, regrets, worries, and grudges. Life is too short to be unhappy.”

Peter and Joy, a doctor and a journalist fell in love and what they had felt like a fairy tale. She said yes even though Peter was arrogant, toxic but she loved her men rough around the edges and the fact that he was a doctor, was enough for her. Joy really wanted children. She knew Peter still wanted time. After 7 long years of trying, Joy got what she wanted. She was pregnant and she was going to have twins.

Two months later, Peter committed suicide in his office. Joy knew what she did, she wasn’t sure about it but she knew heaven won’t be there again and it was ok. Therefore, she was ready to live with the guilt, at the end of the day, she got what she wanted.

Peter had a vasectomy 2 months after their wedding.

I have taken a lot of ‘L’s in my life and it is human nature to say that failures are always there to build us. At least that’s how we lie or say to ourselves to feel better. However, I do not take my failures for granted rather, I took the mantle of responsibility to be calm and to know the philosophy around stoicism. Simply, it defines how calm and collected one can be under intense pressure. The element of stoicism came in handy in two occasions; 29th/10/10 and 13/1/15.

29/10/10

Growing up, I really struggled with my name. I would introduce myself and get a rather eerier reaction or people would just make fun of how it sounds. It was comical how I was so small in stature that making fun of me back in the day became a routine. Hope was lost when teachers would make fun of my name and everyone in class would laugh.

I developed a coping mechanism I called elasticity. Knowing that there are people who respected and valued my identity, gave me hope. Elasticity was simply how long I would go with insults or how some humans put it, “si ni jokes tu” without breaking. With it, I was supposed to know that I had to be ready to break and how will I pick myself up and start all over again.


Through this journey, I never hated anyone for calling me names but it left a scar, a scar that I am gradually learning to put aesthetics and masks to hide it. Nothing will change the fact that someone used to tease me up or someone is going to break me down. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” Dr. Seuss

13/1/15 is a good story in the archives, a story I am still anxious about but for now, let’s wait for Kanye’s new album, it’s going to be lit.

Comments