Strange psychiatrist


 

As the COVID-19 pandemic gushes through the second year, new fast-spreading variants have caused a surge in infections in many countries, and renewed lockdowns. Thanks to the world that we are living in, right and wrong are just artificial constructs. We grew up and realized that our role models blamed reality for everything and they never told us about boundaries.

I started jogging in the evening and now am thinking of taking swimming lessons but that can wait for now. At least football is back and the source of my anxiety can be narrowed down to one thing. I am working on my physique and I just have a feeling that this time will be different. Still pursuing happiness and the search has not been too kind. I made a new friend while on my evening jog, she is fast, too fast actually and she always makes it a competition just to rub it in my face. At the end of it, she would just end up saying “in your face” just to let it sink in.

Apart from being a douchebag, I really enjoy her company. She listens to contemporary blues, psychedelic soul (whatever that is!!) and she will constantly describe herself as a feminist. We do argue a lot, for instance, she believes that there isn’t any diversity in our beliefs when it comes to death and I simply believe what the Christians do believe. On the 15th of August 2021, we met over a cup of coffee and she had some errands to run. So, she called her one and only “uber guy”, me. Only my friends and colleagues from the DUFA can understand this situation. She was stressed, looked a bit aggravated and edgy. I always try my best not to listen to baggage people carry with them, truth be told, I aint a psychiatrist.

However, I was the “uber guy” and she was buying coffee so as we Nairobians like to say, ‘irriswarris’. We were in some fancy restaurant, I have to admit, I do not have that kind of fancy money to spend. We were served and at that moment, I sensed an air of desperation surround her, like a heavy cloak that she was tired of carrying. It was evident in her crystal eyes as they darted about looking for friendly territory; a friendly face with whom she could sit and feel safe and at ease with.

“Imagine my boyfriend flogged me yesterday and I don’t know if I can report it as GBV or police brutality,” she chuckled, making fun of the situation she was in. In a spilt of 3 seconds, I was wondering, what the hell is she talking about? She knew I dint get it and to make it worse, she said, “My boyfriend is in the poli…” I lost my concentration and the only thing that was in my mind was how I can get out of here.

All my life I swore that I will never go to the police. I fear the police more than the local thieves, scratch that!, I fear the police so much, that I have to wear a mask because of them not the virus. I should be the last person to go to if you have an issue with the police or any type of relationship advice.

“Hey! Hey! Crisis alert” she said as she snapped her fingers to my face. I didn’t have anything to say so I stammered the first thing that came to mind. “Have you contacted the authorities? Have you told anyone apart from me?” She didn’t do any of those and her excuse was he is a police officer. Being a police officer did suffice the fact that I was with the wrong person at the moment.

I told her what I would have told anyone, you love him but he beats you up, that’s not love. You are too comfortable with what you have. It’s going to hurt when you leave, you are beautiful, probably wonderful, probably you’ll never find someone like him but remember, the longer you stay, the higher you will go and when you fall, when you fall you will break everything.

According to the UNHCR, Gender-Based violence refers to harmful acts directed at an individual based on their gender. It is rooted in gender inequality, the abuse of power and harmful norms. Gender-based violence (GBV) is a serious violation of human rights and a life-threatening health and protection issue. It is estimated that one in three women will experience sexual or physical violence in their lifetime. During displacement and times of crisis, the threat of GBV significantly increases for women and girls.



“I don’t want you to be a statistic, you know better.” I said that while calling 0800720308 with her phone.

Gender based violence has been rampant and cases have increased during the lockdown. Do not hesitate look for help before its late.

 

 

Comments