Runaway Bride




Today I had the first panic attack of the year and I was so worried to when I was going to have this episode. It’s been a while since I had an episode on a Sunday. However, the thing about this episode was that I was glad I had it and through the convalescence, I wish I was happier than ever. It's like walking around in a suffocating black mist with a smile.

Let’s pretend that Sundays could last forever, let stress slowly fade through our mindset that it is Sunday and the spirit will gifts us with sanctity. It felt like autumn with a broad smile on my face but the heat from the sun was a reality check up. In the city of Nairobi, we don’t do seasons, it’s either too hot or too cold.

For a moment it looked like I was on top of the world, then it all came down crumbling and everything was unsteady. I was cold and alone, I tried calling lyn (a friend) but she couldn’t pick up the phone and I felt like I was going to cry.

I was having one of the best days of my life until I got a text. “we know you were her friend, unfortunately she was admitted and she is in a coma…” that’s the only part of the text that I was strong enough to read. The whole afternoon I had to lie to myself to be happy.

Mark, Alice’s brother called and you could easily note that he was not in a good mood. Mark is always in a good mood but his voice was somber and the mood was subdued. “Alice tried to… to… take he.. her… life…” Mark sobbing while talking through the phone.

I used to be in a relationship with Alice but she ended things along time ago. She was admitted to the hospital in view of the fact that she tried committing suicide the previous night. she was experimenting with ecstasy and someone talked her in trying out illicit brew. The feeling took her to some weird place and she wanted to jump down from a six floor apartment. I snapped and became green with envy now that God loved her more He wanted to take her away and it triggered a spasm contraction through my muscles and my mind wandered.

The weather changed and it duplicated the cloud in my mind. It felt like the pastors in Nairobi stopped preaching about hope and taught, the Armageddon. The night crawled onward and I could see her eyes pried open then I became all nervous. My thoughts were in captivity and all I can remember was her bleak heart.

Love was no more and darkness filled my heart. My flaws were untouchable and I was still hanging on to her laces, her pink laces. The universe ought to take her and now too much love feels like a trap. Hope faded away and my heart was shredded into glass.

“father who art in heaven, why should I suffer more? Why should I keep on thinking of her? Why is it a chore for me to collect my tears?” my heart started beating for her but my mind couldn’t take it anymore.

The saddest thing is that I wanted reality, I wanted to take the one part of life that I really thought it was mine and I wanted to protect it from the universe which takes whatever it wants. I chose to fight it and it was sad, I nearly lost everything. Be that as it may, I think I am still slow dancing in the dark.

It’s 11 at night and I am going through the letters we wrote, I know I had a bad handwriting but hers was indecipherable. The late nights that I hated and your mother resented me for and the Sundays we hoped for with pancakes and vanilla yoghurt are now vanity.   

When she left, I remember crying all night. She left and a part of me dwindled, all the good bits and the happiness. I became reckless and sad standing in between life and death. I was lost, a lifeless face that resembled a silhouette, my eyes damped from the words you left me with.

 

“I feel like we should try something different,

I really love you but it’s not just enough.”

It kills me most to say I won’t care

And my tears will be my witness

 

We fought, we argued                                                                                  memories will turn to dust

You were patient                                                                                              but I hope you won’t burry us

And I acted out                                                                                                

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    HER…

Comments